
WhatsApp messages retrieved from devices seized from suspended Crime Intelligence head Feroz Khan have implicated EFF leader Julius Malema in alleged corruption in documents released by the Madlanga Commission on Monday 8 June 2026. Image:@admin
WhatsApp messages from Feroz Khan’s seized devices allege EFF leader Julius Malema was involved in corrupt activities with the suspended Crime Intelligence head. The Malema Khan Madlanga Commission story broke on Monday 8 June 2026. Khan dropped all legal action against the commission. As a result, the commission released explosive court documents that sent social media into a frenzy overnight.
Malema Khan Madlanga Commission: What the Documents Say
Commission investigator Tshepo Nyatlo filed a key affidavit at the centre of the released documents. Nyatlo alleged that messages on Khan’s devices show Khan, Malema and Carnilinx tobacco co-founder Mohamed Sayed working together in June 2021. Their alleged aim was to remove then Inspector General of Intelligence Setlhomamaru Dintwe from his post.
Khan allegedly sent Sayed a list of parliamentary questions for the EFF to pose to Dintwe. The questions aimed to suggest Dintwe had links to alleged drug lord Timmy Marimuthu. Furthermore, Khan allegedly said Dintwe would lie under questioning. As a result, those lies would create grounds to push for his removal. The alleged plan shows a direct link between Khan’s intelligence work and EFF parliamentary actions.
In another exchange, Sayed allegedly passed a request from Malema to Khan. The request asked for information about a case at Sandton Police Station involving VBS Bank curator Anoosh Rooplal. Furthermore, Sayed asked Khan if he could send a disciplinary notice to someone he called Juju. Investigators believe Juju refers to Malema.
Khan Drops Legal Challenge Over Seized Devices
Khan had previously gone to court to block the commission from accessing his seized devices. He obtained an interdict preventing both SAPS and the Madlanga Commission from viewing the phones and computers taken from his Houghton home in May 2026. However, on Monday 8 June 2026 Khan withdrew all legal action against the commission.
Nyatlo confirmed that investigators obtained the device contents through a bitlock-encrypted hard drive. Therefore, the commission had access to the material without physically holding the devices. Khan dropping his legal challenge cleared the last obstacle to the commission going public with its findings.
The commission released the documents on Monday night. By Tuesday morning Malema and Khan were both trending nationally as the contents spread across social media.
The VBS Bank Link in the Malema Khan Story
The alleged Malema request for VBS Bank information adds a new layer to a long-running controversy. Malema and former EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu faced previous VBS Bank allegations. Former VBS chair Tshifhiwa Matodzi implicated them in an affidavit before his sentencing in 2023. Malema called that affidavit untested evidence at the time. However, the new messages now allegedly place him in direct contact with Khan on a matter linked to the same scandal.
VBS Bank collapsed in 2018. The collapse cost depositors and municipalities billions of rands. Furthermore, it directly harmed poor and rural communities who relied on the bank. It remains one of the worst financial crimes in South African democratic history.
Who Is Mohamed Sayed
Mohamed Sayed co-founded Carnilinx, a tobacco company linked to allegations of illicit trade and tax evasion. His name has come up in multiple probes involving SARS, the NPA and state capture inquiries. His alleged role as a go-between for Khan and Malema represents a major new development in the commission’s work.
What Malema and Khan Have Said
Malema had not responded to the specific WhatsApp allegations at the time of publication. He has denied all past allegations linking him to VBS, state capture and corrupt law enforcement ties. Furthermore, he has described previous affidavits against him as politically driven.
Khan had also not addressed the specific contents of the released documents at the time of publication. However, his decision to drop the legal challenge has drawn attention from legal observers across the country.
The Bigger Picture at the Madlanga Commission
President Cyril Ramaphosa set up the Madlanga Commission in July 2025. It followed Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi’s explosive media briefing alleging criminal networks had infiltrated the SAPS at the highest levels. Since then the commission has produced dramatic hearings and multiple arrests.
Khan was arrested in May 2026 alongside Gauteng Hawks head Major General Ebrahim Kadwa and Durban businessman Tariq Downes. They face charges of defeating the ends of justice linked to an illegal gold bust at OR Tambo International Airport in 2021.
The WhatsApp messages linking Khan to Malema are among the most politically significant findings the commission has produced. Furthermore, they raise serious questions about ties between senior intelligence officials and opposition leaders. The commission is expected to pursue those questions forcefully in the weeks ahead.
Mzansi Today Live will continue to follow this story as further information becomes available.
For more on the Madlanga Commission visit thepresidency.gov.za.
Editors Note All allegations in this article come from the affidavit of Madlanga Commission investigator Tshepo Nyatlo in documents released by the commission on 8 June 2026. Julius Malema and Feroz Khan are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. All allegations are unproven and will be tested through the appropriate legal processes. Mzansi Today Live will update this article as further information becomes available.
