Media personality Unathi Nkayi has drawn backlash after publicly siding with Bonko Khoza and invoking her boy mom identity amid Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku’s sexual violation allegations from the set of Red Ink. Image: @admin

South African media personality Unathi Nkayi has drawn criticism after publicly siding with actor Bonko Khoza amid sexual violation allegations made by actress Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku from the set of Showmax’s Red Ink. Her reference to being a boy mom as part of her position drew particular backlash. Bomb Productions has since released a statement finding insufficient evidence to substantiate the claims.

Media personality, singer and actress Unathi Nkayi has found herself at the centre of a heated online debate after wading into one of South Africa’s most talked about entertainment controversies. Nkayi publicly sided with actor Bonko Khoza amid serious sexual violation allegations made against him by his former Red Ink co-star Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku. It was her specific framing of that position, invoking her identity as a boy mom that drew the strongest and most sustained criticism from South Africans online.

What Unathi Said and Why It Caused Outrage

Nkayi entered the public conversation around the allegations and offered her perspective in a manner that aligned with Khoza’s denial of wrongdoing. In doing so she invoked her identity as the mother of a son as part of the context for her position on the matter. The framing immediately drew criticism from South Africans online who argued that being a mother of a male child is not a qualifying position from which to evaluate allegations of sexual misconduct and that invoking motherhood in this context minimised the seriousness of Nokwe-Mseleku’s claims.

Many South Africans argued that the boy mom argument is a well-documented deflection used to defend men accused of misconduct by women who feel personal loyalty to the male gender through their sons. Others argued that Nkayi as a prominent public figure had a responsibility to engage with the allegations more carefully given the broader context of gender-based violence in South Africa and the ongoing national conversation about the safety of women in the workplace.

Not all reactions were critical. Some South Africans defended Nkayi’s right to express a view, with one social media user arguing that people should be allowed to choose their own side and questioning whether false accusations should be dismissed entirely. Nkayi had not issued a public response to the criticism at the time of publication.

Who Is Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku and What Did She Allege

Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku is a South African actress and singer known for her role as Sihle Biyela in Outlaws Season 1. She went public on Saturday 16 May 2026 with allegations that Bonko Khoza had violated agreed boundaries during the filming of a scene on the set of Showmax’s Red Ink in September 2023. She alleged that clear boundaries had been set and rehearsed before filming the scene and that Khoza thrust his pelvis against hers during a close-up shot despite prior discussions and agreements around consent.

Nokwe-Mseleku corroborated her statement with screenshots of emails she had sent to Bomb Productions following the incident, as well as a recording of a conversation with an investigating officer. She stated she had attempted to open a criminal case with police but was sent between multiple stations. She said the experience had led her to step away from traditional acting entirely. “I am never going back to acting. I will never put myself in a position where I am told my body is not mine,” she said.

Bonko Khoza Denied Everything

Bonko Khoza released a formal public statement on Monday 18 May 2026 denying all allegations. He described the scene in question as a fully clothed violent stunt scene that had been discussed, choreographed and rehearsed in advance with the director, stunt coordinator, director of photography and Nokwe-Mseleku herself. He confirmed that a stunt double had been offered to Nokwe-Mseleku before filming and that she declined the offer. He stated that more than 12 crew members were present during filming, that unedited footage had been reviewed by all parties in November 2023 and confirmed no misconduct, and that a criminal case opened by Nokwe-Mseleku in May 2024 had been investigated by police and not prosecuted.

“Being falsely accused of a sex crime is devastating for anyone. My integrity, my career, and my role as a parent were all placed under a cloud because of an allegation that has been disproven by footage, by witnesses, and by the legal process,” Khoza said. He also alleged that similar complaints had been made by Nokwe-Mseleku against other actors and cast members in unrelated productions, a claim Nokwe-Mseleku swiftly challenged by daring him to name those individuals publicly.

Bomb Productions Concludes Investigation

Bomb Productions released an official statement on Wednesday 20 May 2026 following its internal investigation into the matter. The production company confirmed that when Nokwe-Mseleku raised her concerns they were taken seriously immediately, production was halted for the day, and an extensive consultation and investigation process was initiated.

The investigation involved questioning producers, directors and key personnel present on set. Legal counsel and SWIFT, Sisters Working in Film and Television, were also consulted. Bomb Productions also offered Nokwe-Mseleku professional emotional support at the production’s expense, which she accepted by attending therapy with a therapist of her choice facilitated by the company.

A safety officer had been present during rehearsals and filming, and both actors had been informed they could stop the scene or call cut at any point if they felt uncomfortable. “There was no indication of anything untoward in any of the rehearsals or during the filming,” the statement read.

Nokwe-Mseleku requested that producers obtain a formal letter of apology from Khoza. He declined, stating he did not agree with the allegations. The investigation concluded without sufficient evidence to substantiate the claims. “We acknowledge the seriousness of the allegations and the impact this matter has had on both parties. We have strived to ensure a process that is careful, fair and lawful for both parties,” Bomb Productions said.

The company also affirmed its broader position on matters of this nature. “Sexual abuse is a serious and deeply painful reality in South Africa, and we stand in solidarity with victims and survivors. We also believe that all allegations must be handled through a fair, careful and lawful process for all parties concerned.”

The Industry Responds

Beyond Unathi Nkayi, the matter drew responses from other industry figures. Actress Gabisile Tshabalala penned a public message to Bonko Khoza following the Bomb Productions statement. Actress Lerato Mvelase reshared the statement with her own commentary and drew criticism from some South Africans who argued she had chosen the wrong moment to be vocal.

The controversy has fuled a broader conversation about accountability, consent and the culture of silence and solidarity within the South African film and television industry and about what it means for prominent public figures to use their platforms during matters of this sensitivity.

Editors Note Bonko Khoza has denied all allegations of sexual misconduct and is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. All allegations made by Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku are unproven in a court of law at the time of publication. The views expressed by South Africans online are those of members of the public and do not represent the editorial position of Mzansi Today Live.