four Ekurhuleni officials bail Madlanga Commission 2026

Four current and former Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality officials appeared before the Germiston Magistrate’s Court on Thursday 9 July 2026 after being arrested overnight by the Madlanga Commission’s Recommendations Task Team. Image: Supplied/EWN

Four current and former Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality officials appeared before the Germiston Magistrate’s Court on Thursday 9 July 2026. The four Ekurhuleni officials bail hearing produced mixed outcomes. Furthermore, suspended EMPD deputy chief Julius Mkhwanazi and suspended head of legal services Advocate Kemi Behari each received R50,000 bail. As a result, two of the four are out on bail while former city manager Imogen Mashazi and suspended head of human resources Linda Gxasheka spent Thursday night behind bars.

Four Ekurhuleni Officials Bail: Who Got Bail and Who Did Not

The court granted Mkhwanazi and Behari R50,000 bail each. The State accepted that neither posed a flight risk and that their addresses had been verified. However, the court’s payment office had already closed by the time the ruling came through. As a result, both men spent Thursday night in custody and were expected to pay and be released on Friday morning.

Mashazi and Gxasheka were not as fortunate. Their bail applications moved to Friday 10 July 2026. Prosecutors needed more time to complete address verification. Mashazi’s legal team argued the Crime Intelligence Technical Response Team could complete verification overnight. Furthermore, Gxasheka’s lawyer said delaying proceedings was unfair as she is the mother of a four-year-old child. As a result, both women spent Thursday night behind bars.

What the Four Ekurhuleni Officials Face

All four face charges of fraud, corruption and defeating the ends of justice. The case centres on allegations that Mashazi, Behari and Gxasheka shielded Mkhwanazi from disciplinary action for years. The allegations come from Madlanga Commission testimony and IPID recommendations. Mkhwanazi allegedly helped suspected underworld figure Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala secure the City of Ekurhuleni’s blue lights. Despite repeated IPID recommendations, disciplinary proceedings against him were stalled at every turn.

Behari allegedly told Mashazi that the internal case against Mkhwanazi was “not good” and that an IPID report was “vague.” That advice allegedly gave Mashazi cover to ignore disciplinary action. Furthermore, Gxasheka is accused of failing to enforce those disciplinary actions as head of human resources. The commission heard that Gxasheka and Behari each received irregular salary increases of approximately R600,000 after allegedly protecting Mkhwanazi. As a result, the alleged arrangement rewarded protecting a corrupt official with significant financial benefit.

All Four Deny the Allegations

All four accused have denied wrongdoing. Mkhwanazi said in his bail affidavit that the charges are politically motivated. He argued the arrest is designed to block his bid to become the next EMPD head when the position opens later in 2026. Furthermore, he said he intends to plead not guilty to all charges. Behari also denied all allegations and said claims that he accepted a bribe in the form of a salary increase are false. Mashazi and Gxasheka had not commented publicly at the time of publication. As a result, all four are contesting the charges against them.

The Bigger Picture Behind the Four Ekurhuleni Officials Bail Case

Wednesday’s arrests mark a significant moment for the Madlanga Commission. The Commission Recommendations Task Team was set up to act on the commission’s findings in real time. It does not wait for the final report. Furthermore, the overnight arrest of four officials at once shows the task team can move quickly and decisively. Police also instructed other individuals connected to the investigation to present themselves at their nearest police stations. As a result, further arrests cannot be ruled out.

This is also not Mkhwanazi’s first criminal matter. He was arrested on 18 April 2026 alongside Ekurhuleni municipal manager Kagiso Lerutla in a separate case. That case involved an alleged 2019 scheme to have an impersonator appear in court on Lerutla’s behalf. Mkhwanazi received R30,000 bail in that case. As a result, he now faces criminal charges in two separate matters while still suspended as EMPD deputy chief.

For more on the Madlanga Commission visit thepresidency.gov.za.

Editors Note All four accused are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. All charges are unproven and will be tested in court. Mkhwanazi and Behari were granted R50,000 bail each on Thursday 9 July 2026. Mashazi and Gxasheka’s bail applications are scheduled for Friday 10 July 2026. Mzansi Today Live will update this article as further information becomes available.

By Editorial Team

We are a group of student journalists and content creators covering South African politics, crime, entertainment, sports and lifestyle through independent news reporting and video commentary.