
AmaZulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini issued a formal apology on Friday 10 July 2026 after a leaked video allegedly showing him drunk and insulting Queen Nomzamo Myeni went viral. The King and Queen then departed for Zimbabwe together over the weekend for diplomatic talks with President Mnangagwa. Image: Getty images
AmaZulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini has apologised after a leaked video showing him allegedly drunk and insulting Queen Nomzamo Myeni went viral. The King Misuzulu viral video apology came on Friday 10 July 2026. Furthermore, despite the public storm the King and Queen Nomzamo departed for Zimbabwe together over the weekend to meet President Emmerson Mnangagwa on immigration. As a result, South Africa is still trying to make sense of what it all means.
King Misuzulu Viral Video: What the Footage Shows
The footage appeared on Facebook on 9 July 2026. A user identified as @joy_zelda on X shared it while the King and Queen Nomzamo were attending an official meeting with a Build One South Africa delegation led by Mmusi Maimane at Khangelamankengane Royal Palace in Nongoma. In the video, a man purported to be King Misuzulu holds a green beer bottle and appears visibly intoxicated. He directs harsh verbal insults at a woman identified as Queen Nomzamo Myeni. The King accuses her of infidelity within the Shembe church and threatens to cut off her financial support. Furthermore, he calls Shembe Nazareth Baptist Church leader Inkosi Mduduzi Nyazilwezulu Shembe an idiot.
“She’s out there without permission. When you are someone’s wife, you ask to go where you want to go. At least let your husband know, instead of him seeing you on social media,” the man says. He adds: “The Zulus are not happy with her. I want her out of my house.” A second woman tries to calm the situation. Before the video ends, the woman recording says: “This is the life I live, every day.” Furthermore, the Office of the King confirmed the footage is real. However, it said someone filmed it weeks earlier in a private family setting and shared it publicly without the King’s knowledge or consent. As a result, the palace did not dispute the authenticity but argued the video was taken out of context.
The King Apologises Over the King Misuzulu Viral Video
King Misuzulu issued a formal apology through his office on Friday. The statement acknowledged that he fell short of the standard expected of him. “His Majesty deeply regrets the hurt caused by his utterances and humbly asks those who were affected to receive his sincere expression of remorse. He acknowledges that leadership carries an enduring responsibility to demonstrate wisdom, patience and respect, even during moments of personal difficulty,” the office said.
The King also sent a delegation to the Shembe church to formally apologise for insulting its leader. “The delegation has been instructed to formally convey His Majesty’s profound regret regarding the unfortunate utterances made during that private exchange and to reaffirm the deep and enduring respect that His Majesty and the Zulu throne hold for Unyazi LweZulu and the Nazareth Baptist Church,” the statement read. Furthermore, the Zulu Royal Household described the incident as a domestic matter. “Every household has its issues,” the household said. As a result, the palace response was one of acknowledgement, apology and an appeal for privacy.
South Africa Reacts to the King Misuzulu Viral Video
The video divided South Africans sharply. Many condemned the King’s conduct as abusive and unacceptable regardless of royal status. Commentary across social media reflects the view that a man who threatens his wife and cuts off her finances cannot credibly lead a nation. Furthermore, Sizwe Dhlomo weighed in, drawing a large reaction from his followers. Some pointed to previous allegations of alcohol abuse against the King, which the King has denied. As a result, the video reignited long-running concerns about the King’s conduct.
Others directed criticism at Queen Nomzamo for recording and sharing the footage. They argued that private domestic disputes should not go public regardless of how serious the behaviour is. A smaller group defended the King entirely, dismissing the video as a private matter. As a result, the conversation quickly became a broader debate about privacy, domestic violence, royal accountability and women’s rights within traditional institutions.
A Bigger Conversation About Royal Accountability
Former AbaThembu Queen Dr Nolubabalo Mcinga called on Minister of Cooperative Governance Velenkosini Hlabisa to establish a National Royal Leadership, Induction and Wellness Programme. She argued that many royals struggle with the weight of what they have taken on and need structured support. As a result, the video sparked a wider conversation about whether South Africa’s traditional institution framework does enough to support and hold accountable the monarchs it recognises.
Then They Left for Zimbabwe Together
Despite the storm, King Misuzulu and Queen Nomzamo departed for Zimbabwe together over the weekend as planned. The trip had been in the works for weeks. King Misuzulu and King Ndamase Ndamase of Western Pondoland wrote to both Minister Ronald Lamola and President Mnangagwa on 3 July 2026 proposing the visit. The two traditional leaders plan to discuss xenophobia, migration and the role of minority communities within the AfCFTA framework. Furthermore, they want to host a SADC Regional Minority Summit in Victoria Falls. The goal is to reframe migration as a strategic economic opportunity rather than a security threat.
The decision to travel together has been interpreted in different ways. Some see it as a sign the couple resolved their dispute. Others argue the obligations of the throne require a public united front regardless of what happens privately. Furthermore, the two monarchs met with President Ramaphosa on 28 June 2026 to discuss the migration crisis. The Mnangagwa visit is a natural extension of that engagement. As a result, the Zimbabwe trip was always going to happen. The viral video simply ensured that almost everyone in South Africa was watching when it did.
For more on the AmaZulu Royal Household visit kznonline.gov.za.
Editors Note The Office of the King confirmed the footage in the viral video is authentic but said someone filmed it weeks earlier in a private family setting and shared it without the King’s knowledge or consent. The identity of the individuals in the video has not been independently confirmed by Mzansi Today Live beyond the statements issued by the royal household. All views expressed by South Africans referenced in this article are those of members of the public and do not represent the editorial position of Mzansi Today Live.
