
Vusimuzi Cat Matlala appeared before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday 13 May 2026 alongside suspended national police commissioner Fannie Masemola in connection with a R228 million Medicare contract. Photo credit: @DailySunSA on X
Criminally accused tenderpreneur Vusimuzi Cat Matlala is reportedly in discussions with the Investigative Directorate Against Corruption over a possible plea deal that could see him provide evidence implicating key individuals in a large-scale corruption probe. Sources say immunity is highly unlikely. Matlala also faces a separate attempted murder trial scheduled for July 2026.
Alleged crime boss and tenderpreneur Vusimuzi Cat Matlala has become the subject of intense legal speculation after reports emerged that he is in discussions with the Investigative Directorate Against Corruption over a possible plea deal in connection with a large-scale corruption probe linked to his company Medicare 24 Tshwane District. The development represents a significant new turn in one of South Africa’s most complex and far-reaching criminal cases, one that has drawn in suspended police commissioners, senior SAPS officials, politicians and alleged hitmen.
The Plea Negotiations
According to sources cited in a report by The Citizen, Matlala is in discussions with IDAC over a possible plea arrangement that would hinge on his willingness to provide evidence implicating certain individuals in the broader corruption probe. The nature of that evidence and the identities of those he would be expected to implicate have not been publicly disclosed.
A source with knowledge of the negotiations told The Citizen that the dispute with correctional services over his detention conditions was only the beginning of a much larger battle. “The fight with correctional services was just the tip of the iceberg, as IDAC wants him to give up certain people,” the source said.
However a separate source poured cold water on any suggestion that Matlala would be granted immunity in exchange for his cooperation. “Out of the question,” the source said, describing the prospect of immunity as highly improbable regardless of what information Matlala might be willing to provide. Any plea arrangement, if concluded, would therefore need to balance Matlala’s cooperation against the severity of the charges he faces a calculation that will be watched closely by prosecutors, co-accused and observers of the Madlanga Commission alike.
The R228 Million Medicare Contract Case
The plea negotiations are taking place against the backdrop of a sprawling corruption case in which Matlala appeared before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday 13 May 2026 alongside suspended national police commissioner Fannie Masemola and several co-accused police officers. The case centres on a R228 million contract awarded to Matlala’s company Medicare 24 Tshwane District for SAPS health services. The contract was subsequently cancelled in May 2025 after concerns were raised about the procurement process. At least R50 million had already been paid out at the time of cancellation.
Masemola faces four counts under the Public Finance Management Act for allegedly failing to act timeously before the tender was awarded and paid out. Medicare 24 Holdings managing director James George Murray and Captain Brian Cartwright are accused of assisting Matlala in preparing the bid submission for the original R360 million SAPS health services contract from which the R228 million arrangement derived.
Proceedings in the matter were postponed to 26 June 2026 after the prosecution indicated that new evidence had surfaced requiring further investigation before the case could proceed.
The Attempted Murder Trial Looms
Separately from the corruption matter, Matlala is preparing to stand trial in a high-profile attempted murder case at the Johannesburg High Court, scheduled to begin on 20 July 2026 and expected to run for 25 days. Matlala faces a total of 25 charges in that matter including 11 counts of attempted murder arising from a series of alleged shooting incidents between August 2022 and January 2024.
His co-accused in the attempted murder trial include his wife Tsakani Matlala, alleged hitmen Tiego Floyd Mabusela and Musa Kekana, and Kekana’s daughter Zandile Nthabiseng Nzama. Kekana, Mabusela and Matlala remain in custody pending trial, while the bail of Tsakani Matlala and Nzama has been extended.
One of the central incidents in the attempted murder case is the October 2023 shooting of actress Tebogo Thobejane, who was previously in a relationship with Matlala. Additional allegations in the case involve separate shooting incidents connected to businessman Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni who was himself arrested this week
