Somaliland undocumented foreigners order 10 days 2026

Somaliland State Minister for Interior Abdirashid Mohamed Hassan Magaalo announced on Monday 23 June 2026 that all undocumented foreign nationals must leave Somaliland within 10 days or face legal action. Image: Supplied

Somaliland has given undocumented foreign nationals 10 days to leave its territory. The Somaliland undocumented foreigners order was announced by State Minister for Interior Abdirashid Mohamed Hassan Magaalo on Monday 23 June 2026. Furthermore, security agencies across Somaliland have been instructed to implement the directive carefully. As a result, the self-declared republic in the Horn of Africa has joined a growing list of governments enforcing stricter immigration controls in 2026.

Somaliland Undocumented Foreigners Order: What Was Said

Minister Magaalo made the announcement in Hargeisa, Somaliland’s capital. He said all foreign nationals without valid legal documentation must leave within 10 days or face legal action. “Illegal foreigners must leave the country within 10 days,” Magaalo said. Furthermore, he confirmed that security agencies had already received their instructions. “Security agencies are instructed to make every effort to ensure that foreigners leave the country within 10 days,” he said.

Magaalo also urged the public to assist with enforcement. “We also urge the public to report any suspicious individuals to the security authorities. Protecting our security is a responsibility shared by everyone,” he said. Furthermore, he stressed that the measure targets undocumented migrants only. Foreigners legally residing, working or doing business in Somaliland will not be affected by the order. As a result, the directive draws a clear legal line between documented and undocumented foreign nationals.

Why Somaliland Issued the Undocumented Foreigners Order Now

The government framed the order as a security and stability measure. Officials said Somaliland is tightening immigration controls to create a more stable environment for economic growth and foreign investment. Furthermore, the directive reflects the territory’s increasing focus on immigration management as it pursues greater international engagement. The minister did not specify what triggered the decision at this time. He also did not provide details on the number or nationalities of those affected.

Somaliland has issued similar directives in the past. Previous administrations periodically called on undocumented migrants to obtain legal residency permits or leave. Some foreign nationals received work and residence permits at various times. Others faced deportation or administrative action for failing to comply. As a result, Monday’s order follows a pattern of periodic immigration enforcement rather than representing a completely new policy direction.

The Broader Continental Context

The Somaliland order arrives at a moment when immigration enforcement is dominating headlines across the African continent and beyond. South Africa is spending R600 million on security ahead of anti-immigration protests planned for 30 June 2026. Ghana, Nigeria, Malawi, Zimbabwe and Mozambique have all been repatriating their nationals from South Africa in recent weeks. Furthermore, Rwanda told African governments last week to stop blaming South Africa for migration pressures and to address the root causes of migration instead.

The simultaneous tightening of immigration controls across multiple African countries in the same month reflects a broader continental conversation about the management of undocumented migration. Furthermore, it raises questions about the conditions that drive people to move across borders without documentation in the first place. Somaliland itself hosts significant numbers of migrants from Ethiopia and other parts of the Horn of Africa who move through the territory in search of work and better economic conditions.

What Happens Next After the Somaliland Foreigners Order

Somaliland security agencies are expected to begin implementing the directive immediately. Undocumented foreign nationals have until approximately 3 July 2026 to depart. Those who remain after the deadline face legal action. Furthermore, Magaalo confirmed that immigration matters will be handled exclusively by government institutions and official immigration authorities. As a result, no role for vigilante or community enforcement has been indicated in the directive.

Read our earlier coverage: Malawians Repatriation Durban: Thousands Flee to Sydenham as First 258 Board Buses Home.

For more information on Somaliland visit govsomaliland.org.

Editors Note All information in this article is based on statements by Somaliland State Minister for Interior Abdirashid Mohamed Hassan Magaalo and media reports from Hiiraan Online, Kaab TV, Horn Diplomat and AllAfrica published on 23 June 2026. Mzansi Today Live will update this article as further information becomes available.

By Editorial Team

We are a group of student journalists and content creators covering South African politics, crime, entertainment, sports and lifestyle through independent news reporting and video commentary.