Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has confirmed that Ghana is considering legal action against South Africa over xenophobic attacks against African nationals. Image: ministry of foreign affairs

Ghana is considering taking South Africa to court over xenophobic attacks against African nationals. Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa confirmed the Ghana legal action South Africa threat on Friday 5 June 2026. Furthermore, Ghana has petitioned the African Union to place the matter on its upcoming summit agenda. As a result, the diplomatic row between the two countries has reached a new and serious level.

Ghana Legal Action South Africa: What Ablakwa Said

Minister Ablakwa confirmed that Ghana is actively considering legal action against South Africa. He did not name a specific court or legal mechanism. However, the threat marks a major escalation in Ghana’s response to what it describes as ongoing violence against African nationals. Furthermore, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa Benjamin Quashie has formally challenged statements made by a South African official.

“I have told him that it is either he retracts the statement or I put out the fact,” Quashie said. As a result, the relationship between Accra and Pretoria has moved beyond diplomatic summoning into active legal threats.

The African Union Petition

Ghana has formally asked the African Union to act. It wants the AU to place what it describes as xenophobic attacks on its summit agenda. That summit takes place from 24 to 27 June 2026 in El Alamein, Egypt. Furthermore, Ghana classified the situation as a matter of urgent continental interest in its letter to the AU Commission.

Ghana argues that attacks on African nationals have caused loss of life and destroyed investments. Furthermore, it argues the situation threatens the African Continental Free Trade Area. As a result, Ghana is framing this as a continental crisis rather than a bilateral dispute.

South Africa Pushes Back

South Africa has rejected the xenophobia label. President Cyril Ramaphosa stated clearly that violence against foreign nationals is unacceptable. Furthermore, South Africa disputed some of the statistics Ghana has used in its diplomatic campaign. The government maintains that anti-illegal immigration protests are separate from violence against individuals. As a result, it says law enforcement is actively pursuing those responsible for any attacks.

The Broader Diplomatic Fallout

The Ghana legal threat adds to a growing list of diplomatic problems for South Africa. Mozambique claimed five citizens were killed in Mossel Bay. However, Western Cape police confirmed only two deaths. Malawi launched a voluntary repatriation programme. Nigeria warned citizens against retaliatory attacks on South African businesses abroad. Furthermore, anti-immigrant groups set a 30 June 2026 deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave.

President Ramaphosa will address the nation on South Africa’s migration strategy following Cabinet’s approval of a National Action Plan this week. The address is expected to outline concrete steps to protect both South African communities and the rights of foreign nationals.

Mzansi Today Live will continue to follow this story as further information becomes available.

For more on South Africa’s official response visit dirco.gov.za.

Read our earlier coverage: Ghana Charters Evacuation Flight for 300 Citizens From South Africa.

Editors Note Ghana’s consideration of legal action against South Africa was confirmed by Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa on 5 June 2026. No formal legal proceedings had been filed at the time of publication. Mzansi Today Live will update this article as further information becomes available.

By Editorial Team

We are a group of student journalists and content creators covering South African politics, crime, entertainment, sports and lifestyle through independent news reporting and video commentary.