All four accused in the R2 million extortion and money laundering case — Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni, Bafana Sindane, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza — remain in custody after their bail hearing was postponed to Monday 18 May 2026 at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court. Photo: Heidi Giokos

The bail application for Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni, Bafana Sindane, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza was not heard on Friday after the prosecutor told the court she was unavailable on Monday. The magistrate responded by ordering her presence at 9am and warning she would push it down her throat if necessary. All four accused remain in custody.

The bail hearing for four accused in a high-profile R2 million extortion and money laundering case has been postponed to Monday 18 May 2026 after a tense exchange between the magistrate and the State prosecutor at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court on Friday. The four accused, prominent Mpumalanga taxi boss Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni, multi-millionaire Pretoria-based taxi boss Bafana Sindane, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza all remain in custody pending the outcome of their bail applications.

The postponement came after the prosecutor told the court she was unavailable on Monday and that it would be impossible to proceed with the hearing on that date. The magistrate was unimpressed. In a moment that drew significant attention in the courtroom, the magistrate said she was humbly requesting that the prosecutor make herself available on Monday — and warned that if she did not, she would have to push it down her throat. The prosecutor has been ordered to be present at the court by 9am on Monday morning.

How It All Unfolded This Week

The week began on Tuesday 12 May 2026 when Sibanyoni, 60, was arrested by the Special Task Force at his residence in Pretoria in the early hours of the morning. Masilela and Msiza were arrested alongside him in what SAPS described as a coordinated operation. The three were transported to Mpumalanga and held at a Middelburg police station before appearing at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday 13 May 2026.

At their Wednesday appearance, Sibanyoni denied any involvement in the alleged extortion scheme. Speaking to media from inside the courtroom, he appeared calm after a night in custody. “I am a man of God,” Sibanyoni told reporters, adding that he had been using his time in custody to preach to fellow detainees. The matter was postponed to Friday for formal bail application proceedings. Police simultaneously launched a manhunt for a fourth suspect.

On Friday morning, the fourth accused, multi-millionaire Pretoria-based taxi boss Bafana Sindane handed himself over at the Kwaggafontein Police Station before appearing alongside the three other accused. Sindane’s legal representative confirmed to media that his client was cooperating with police and that they had contacted both the prosecution and the investigating officer before he surrendered. “He has never been at large,” the lawyer said.

The Charges

All four accused face charges of extortion and two counts of money laundering. The case stems from a complaint laid at the Kwaggafontein Police Station in November 2025 by a businessman operating in Mpumalanga’s mining industry. The businessman alleges that the four accused demanded more than R2 million in protection fees from him over a period spanning 2022 to 2025, and that payment was made under duress over a prolonged period before he approached police.

The NPA has confirmed that the State is confident it has a strong case and is opposing bail for all four accused.

Sibanyoni’s Lawyer Accuses NPA of Playing Games

The proceedings have not been without tension between the defence and the prosecution. Advocate Shaun Abrahams, former National Director of Public Prosecutions, who is representing Sibanyoni, publicly criticised the NPA ahead of the Wednesday appearance, accusing it of failing to engage with the defence legal team in the lead-up to the case.

“They have ignored our telephone calls, the investigating officer switched off his telephone, and the Director of Public Prosecutions didn’t come back to us. We are not happy with the game they are playing,” Abrahams told reporters outside the court, describing the NPA’s conduct as unacceptable from a professional and collegial perspective. Abrahams also confirmed that Sibanyoni intends to pursue a defamation case against the complainant. The NPA had not formally responded to those allegations at the time of publication.

Who Are the Four Accused

Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni is one of Mpumalanga’s most prominent and powerful figures in the taxi industry. The 60-year-old businessman built a transport empire in the province reportedly spanning taxis, buses and logistics operations. His nickname is said to stem from his well-known preference for luxury and high-performance vehicles. He founded the Joe Sibanyoni Foundation, which he described as aimed at bridging the economic gap in his community. Sibanyoni’s name has surfaced previously in several investigations including those relating to taxi violence in Mpumalanga. He has also been linked to alleged crime boss Vusimuzi Cat Matlala a figure currently facing charges including attempted murder, money laundering and fraud who is set to go on trial in July 2026. Prosecutors confirmed that the current extortion case does not relate to the Madlanga Commission’s work. Sibanyoni has denied any criminal wrongdoing.

Bafana Sindane is a multi-millionaire taxi boss based in Pretoria who is allegedly linked to Sibanyoni. His surrender on Friday adds a significant dimension to the case given his profile within the taxi industry. Further details about Sindane’s alleged role in the extortion scheme had not been officially disclosed by prosecutors at the time of publication.

Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza were arrested alongside Sibanyoni on Tuesday 12 May 2026 as part of the same Special Task Force operation. Details about their alleged specific roles in the extortion scheme had not been officially disclosed at the time of publication.

What Happens Next

All four accused, Sibanyoni, Sindane, Masilela and Msiza remain in custody. Their formal bail applications are now scheduled to be heard at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court on Monday 18 May 2026 at 9am. The State is opposing bail. The outcome of those applications will determine whether the four accused are released on conditions or remain in custody pending the finalisation of the case.

Editors Note Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni, Bafana Sindane, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza are all presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. All charges referenced in this article are unproven and will be tested in court. Mzansi Today Live will update this article as further information becomes available.