The Masunda and Shoperai family lost three members a father, a mother and a baby in two successive accidents on the N1 near Bela-Bela on 9 May 2026. The family says Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has not reached out to them. Image: Supplied

A Zimbabwean family lost three members in two successive accidents on the N1 near Bela-Bela on the same evening. A 14-year-old boy watched his father, mother and baby brother die within minutes of each other. The family says Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has not reached out. South Africans are asking how many more people must die on South African roads before government acts.

The family of Beauty Shoperai and her one-year-old son Paul Masunda Junior, who were killed when the official state vehicle of Health Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi struck them on the N1 highway near Bela-Bela in Limpopo on the evening of Saturday 9 May 2026, say they have not received any communication from the minister at the time of publication. The family is now focused on raising enough money to repatriate the bodies of three family members, a husband, a wife and a baby back to Zimbabwe for burial.

The incident has reignited a national conversation about road safety, the conduct of government VIP protection drivers, and the South African government’s decision to discontinue the Arrive Alive road safety campaign, a programme that many South Africans are now calling to be urgently reinstated.

A Family Destroyed in Minutes

The events of Saturday 9 May 2026 unfolded with devastating speed on the N1 highway near Bela-Bela. That afternoon, 44-year-old Paul Masunda, his 37-year-old wife Beauty Shoperai and their 14-year-old son had accompanied Shoperai and the couple’s one-year-old baby to an informal bus stop, from where the pair were travelling to Zimbabwe for a few weeks.

Shortly after Shoperai boarded the bus with the baby, her 14-year-old son called her in distress. His father Paul Masunda had attempted to cross the N1 highway and had been struck and killed by a vehicle driven by an off-duty police officer. He died at the scene.

Shoperai, carrying her one-year-old son strapped to her back, got off the bus and attempted to cross the N1 to reach her husband. Before she could get to him, she and her baby were struck by the official SUV of Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi, which was being driven by a member of the Protection Security Services. Shoperai and her baby died at the scene.

The 14-year-old boy witnessed all of it.

Family spokesperson Rabson Masunda described the state of the surviving teenager. “The child is very, very devastated. I wish we can get a social worker who can go and try to speak to the child because we don’t know what he is feeling. With his age, it’s not good.” When EWN spoke to the boy at the accident scene, he said simply: “I am not feeling well. I am feeling bad because this is happening to my family.”

An eyewitness who was present at the scene described what they saw as gruesome beyond words. “The mother was in five pieces. The child looked fine, but all his bones were broken. It was difficult to see that. I was really terrified. It was too much,” the eyewitness said.

Motsoaledi Was Present at the Scene

SAPS national spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe confirmed that Minister Motsoaledi, his close protection officer and the driver immediately stopped at the scene after the collision and remained there until police and emergency services arrived, in line with standard protocol. Statements were subsequently obtained from those present.

An eyewitness told EWN that Motsoaledi was at the scene for approximately two hours and appeared visibly shaken by what had occurred. The minister has not issued a public statement at the time of publication and the family say they have not heard from him directly.

Two Culpable Homicide Investigations Underway

The South African Police Service has confirmed that two separate culpable homicide cases are under investigation ,one relating to the death of Paul Masunda, struck by the vehicle of an off-duty police officer, and one relating to the deaths of Beauty Shoperai and her baby, struck by Motsoaledi’s official vehicle. Both cases have been taken over by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate given that both drivers involved are members of the South African Police Service.

The driver of Motsoaledi’s official vehicle, a member of the Protection Security Services could face culpable homicide charges depending on the outcome of the IPID investigation. No charges had been formally laid at the time of publication.

The Family Has Not Heard From Motsoaledi

Five days after the deaths of Beauty Shoperai and Paul Masunda Junior, the family says they have received no communication from Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi. The Shoperai and Masunda families visited the scene of the accident with journalists and expressed their grief openly.

Family spokesperson Rabson Masunda said the family does not blame anyone for the deaths and that their immediate focus is on raising sufficient funds to repatriate the remains of Paul Masunda Senior, Beauty Shoperai and baby Paul Masunda Junior to Zimbabwe for burial. Three members of one family, a husband, a wife and a baby killed on the same stretch of road on the same evening.

South Africans have expressed outrage on social media over the minister’s silence, with many calling on Motsoaledi to publicly acknowledge the tragedy and reach out to the grieving family directly.

South Africans Call for the Return of Arrive Alive

The deaths of the Masunda and Shoperai family members have reignited a broader national conversation about road safety in South Africa. Reactions across social media have included widespread calls for the government to reinstate the Arrive Alive road safety initiative, a programme that ran for many years and included public awareness campaigns, visible law enforcement, roadblocks and community engagement around safe road use.

The Arrive Alive programme was widely credited with reducing road fatalities during the periods in which it was actively implemented. Its discontinuation has been a source of ongoing public frustration, particularly as South Africa’s road fatality statistics have remained among the worst in the world.

South Africa loses an estimated 12,000 to 14,000 people to road accidents every year. The N1 between Johannesburg and Bela-Bela is one of the country’s most dangerous stretches of highway, particularly during holiday periods and at night. Commentary across social media reflects the view that without a sustained, properly funded and consistently enforced road safety programme, tragedies like the one that claimed the lives of the Masunda and Shoperai family will continue to occur with devastating regularity.

What Happens Next

The IPID investigation into both accidents is ongoing. The family is appealing to anyone who can assist with the costs of repatriating their loved ones to Zimbabwe to make contact through community channels. Motsoaledi’s office had not issued a statement at the time of publication.

Editors Note No criminal charges have been formally laid against the driver of Minister Motsoaledi’s vehicle at the time of publication. The IPID investigation is ongoing. All persons are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The views expressed by members of the public regarding road safety are those of South Africans online and on the ground and do not represent the editorial position of Mzansi Today Live.