
Pitso Mosimane has been approved as the new Bafana Bafana head coach by SAFA’s National Executive Committee at an extraordinary meeting at SAFA House on Saturday 8 August 2026. A formal announcement is expected next week. Image: Gallo Images
Pitso Mosimane is returning as Bafana Bafana head coach. SAFA’s National Executive Committee approved the Pitso Mosimane Bafana Bafana appointment at a special NEC meeting at SAFA House on Saturday 8 August 2026. Furthermore, Mosimane replaces Hugo Broos whose five-year contract ended on 31 July 2026. As a result, one of South Africa’s most celebrated football coaches is back in the national team dugout for a second spell.
What SAFA Said About the Pitso Mosimane Bafana Bafana Appointment
SAFA president Dr Danny Jordaan confirmed the decision after the NEC meeting. “The NEC has approved the appointment of coach Pitso to Bafana Bafana, but we still need to tie up some loose ends. We will make a formal announcement of the coach next week,” Jordaan said. Furthermore, Jordaan confirmed the meeting was successful and members were united behind the decision. As a result, SAFA expects to make a formal announcement with full contract details in the week of 10 August 2026.
Mosimane’s First Spell and What Happened After
Mosimane previously coached Bafana Bafana between 2010 and 2012. His first spell ended badly. SAFA and his management team got the CAF qualification rules wrong. They believed goal difference would send Bafana through when CAF used head-to-head results instead. Bafana played for a draw when they needed a win. The team then celebrated qualification that never happened in Mbombela. Mosimane left under a cloud.
He went on to build one of the most remarkable coaching careers in African football. Five PSL titles with Mamelodi Sundowns followed, including the 2016 CAF Champions League title. Al-Ahly then came calling and he won back-to-back CAF Champions League titles in Egypt. Furthermore, he worked in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Iran. As a result, he returns to Bafana with deep experience and with something to prove.
The Team Mosimane Inherits
Mosimane takes over a squad riding the highest wave in its history. Hugo Broos changed Bafana Bafana completely. He turned a team that attracted just 200 supporters to some matches into a side that reached the Round of 32 at the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Broos also guided South Africa to bronze at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations and to their first World Cup qualification in 24 years. Furthermore, Thapelo Maseko’s winner against South Korea in Monterrey became one of the most celebrated moments in South African sporting history. As a result, Mosimane inherits a team with momentum, confidence and a fanbase that has fallen in love with Bafana again.
What Comes Next for the Pitso Mosimane Bafana Era
The immediate challenge is clear. Bafana begin their 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign in September 2026. The bigger picture is the 2030 FIFA World Cup. South Africa confirmed its bid to co-host the tournament alongside fellow African nations. Furthermore, Mosimane spoke about having unfinished business with the national team. As a result, his second spell carries the weight of making things right as much as driving the country’s football goals forward.
For more on Bafana Bafana visit safa.net.
Editors Note SAFA confirmed the NEC approval of Pitso Mosimane’s appointment on 8 August 2026. A formal announcement with full contract details is expected in the week of 10 August 2026. Mzansi Today Live will update this article as further information becomes available.
